2016 Call For Proposals
AASLH 2016 and Michigan Museums Association Annual Meeting
Proposals are due December 7, 2015
Annual Meeting 2016 Theme: The Spirit of Rebirth
The American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) will present its 2016 annual meeting in Detroit, MI, from September 14-17, in partnership with the Michigan Museums Association, and is seeking session proposals for the meeting.
The Program Committee seeks proposals that:
- Explore challenges faced by history professionals, including but not limited to: shifts in national and local demographics, economic downturn, financial pressures, and distracted audiences.
- Illustrate attempts – both successful and less than successful – to react to those contextual changes
- Illustrate attempts – both successful and less than successful – to proactively address pending contextual changes
- Demonstrate the value of understanding the past (societal, institutional, programmatic) in choosing a course for the future
- Consider the use and value of public history in modern national discourse
- Document innovative models, approaches, partnerships
- Assess honestly and critically the failure of outdated models; suggests new approaches to common problems; and/or affirms the effectiveness of traditional tactics
Read the Instructions and Submissions Guidelines to learn more about submitting a topic, including detailed information on session types (round table, forum, workshop, etc).
Need a little inspiration? Click here for subjects suggested by attendees at the 2015 meeting in Louisville.
Proposals are submitted online and are due December 7. Contact Bethany Hawkins with any questions at email@example.com or 615-320-3203.