Benefits of an AASLH Student Membership
Why Become a Student Member?
Student memberships cost $30 a year. That’s about 8 cents per day to support a great cause and to get all the following benefits and career advantages:
1. Networking: Where else can you connect on a personal level with 4,000 history institutions and their staffs? Many of our individual members are directors, curators, consultants, and educators. If you are serious about a career in Public History or Museum Studies, these are the people you need to know. AASLH offers unprecedented opportunities for students to network with the movers and shakers of this field.
2. Membership Helps Your Resume Stand Out: AASLH’s online Job Board houses the best history internships and jobs available in the US and abroad. This amazing resource is free to everyone, but if you want your resume to stand out of the crowd, an AASLH membership lets employers and academic programs know that you are already connected to the field. Don’t forget to check out this video for tips on breaking into the field of state and local history.
3. Our Work Matters: AASLH’s advocacy and leadership is crucial to keeping history and history organizations funded and healthy. Becoming a member is the best way to support this important work, and it lets your potential employers know that you are invested in history.
4. Come to the Annual Meeting for Free: Student Members can volunteer for two four-hour shifts at the Annual Meeting in exchange for free registration. The Annual Meeting provides opportunities for students to network with history professionals and enthusiasts from all over the country.
5. Write for Our Member Voices Blog: Do you have relevant research, project results, or opinions to share with the thousands of people who read our posts? Members can submit posts to be published on our Member Voices blog. This is a great way build your academic or professional presence and gets your name out in front of future employers.
6. History News: Student members can download current and past issues of History News magazine for free. History News exists to foster publication, scholarly research, and an open forum for discussion of best practices, applicable theories, and professional experiences pertinent to the field of state and local history. Each quarterly issue includes featured articles, regular columns, and a free Technical Leaflet.
7. Free and Discounted Resources: You will also get discounts on hundreds of cutting edge books, Technical Leaflets, podcasts (a lot of these are already free), recorded webinars, online courses, and professional development resources you need to stand out in the history field. Members also get 20% off all AASLH books at Rowman & Littlefield.
8. Members Get In Free Program: Hundreds of historical sites across the country offer free admission to AASLH members. Our website features an interactive map of all participating institutions.