Education & careers bibliography
AASLH comprised this bibliography of further reading for those interested in pursuing a career in history, museum work, or public history.
- American Association of Museums, Careers in Museums: A Variety of Vocations Resource Report. Published as a white paper by the American Association of Museums in 1994.
- Bryan, Charles F. “Am I a Historian?” History News (Summer 2002).
- Burcaw, G. Ellis. Introduction to Museum Work. Altamira Press, 1997.
- Filene, Benjamin. “Training Public Historians: Academy and Reality.” History News (Winter 2006).
- Glaser, Jane R. and Artemis A. Zenetou. Museums: A Place to Work, Planning Museum Careers. New York: Smithsonian Institution, 1996.
- LaPaglia, Peter and Jim Gardner. Public History: Essays from the Field. Malabar, Florida: Krieger Publishing Company, 1999.
- Schlatter, N. Elizabeth. Museum Careers: A Practical Guide for Students and Novices. Walnut Creek, California: Left Coast Press, 2008.
- Schwarzer, Marjorie. Graduate Training in Museum Studies: What Students Need to Know. American Association of Museums, 2001.
- Stark, Douglas. “Mid-Career Professionals and Museum Leadership.” History News (Summer 2008): 13-16.
- Tolles, Bryant. Leadership for the Future: Changing Directorial Roles in American History: Museums and Historical Societies. Altamira Press, 1991.