With the help of the 250th anniversary task force, AASLH has developed broad aspirations for what the 250th anniversary can accomplish for the field and for the public. These goals are:
- Make history relevant to every American, every day
- Tell inclusive stories about the American past
- Increase funding for history
- Enhance the public’s engagement with history collections
- Emphasize the importance of history education.
After holding listening sessions about these goals at major conferences, including AASLH, National Council on Public History, Association of African American Museums, and the Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums, AASLH has convened working groups to help consider them more deeply. These working groups will provide ideas and action plans to help guide the work of the field. They began meeting in Summer 2019 and will begin sharing their work later this year.